Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Imprimis (Lat. trans: In the first place): Musashi's Introduction



This will be a long post, but for the journey we are about to embark on, this is necessary.

Musashi, Miyamoto. Introduction to The Martial Artist's Book of Five Rings: The Definitive Interpretation of Miyamoto Musashi's Classic Book of Strategy. Kaufman, Stephen F., trans. Boston: Charles E. Tuttle Publishing, 1994.

My name is Miyamoto Musashi. I have killed over sixty men in fights and duels. when I was sixty years of age I looked back upon my life and in a flash of wisdom, realized that all my victories were based on either great luck, innate ability, or perhaps the fact that the methods of other schools were inadequate.

When I came to terms with my own skills and abilities, the realities of what I had accomplished held me to a higher principle that left me no choice but to depart from the commerce of the world, seek isolation, and tear my soul apart so that I could examine what I had already seemed to know instinctively. I practiced and meditated constantly until I came to understand the workings of the spirit.

I am considered to be the greatest swordsman Japan has ever had. It was during my fights and duels that I developed my own style of two-sword fighting. Although I was committed to my sword, I was also dedicated to learning painting, sculpture, and poetry. I instinctively felt it necessary to understand the arts and be accomplished in them. But my prime focus was on swordsmanship. I was not a religious person, although I know of Buddhism, Shintoism, and Confucianism and am aware of their tenets.

What will be chaged in my teachings with the passing of time cannot be known. There are however, specific warrior attitudes that make good sense for the martialist. These warrior attitudes are succinct and definitive.

It may seem that I am repeating the same thing over and over. While it is true that I am doing this, it is only to enforce my teachings upon you. By constant repetition you will soon come to understand my Way of strategy. I will not leave it to you to try to quickly grasp my ideas in passing.

"The Book of Five Rings" is divided into five sections called, Earth, Water, Fire, Wind and No-thing-ness. Earth lays the groundwork for the study of the whole book. Water explains attitudes of warriorness through and understanding of strategy. Fire teaches fighting with the principles of Earth and Water. The Book of the Wind describes the differences between my school's style and the styles of other schools. The Book of No-thing-ness describes the "Way" of nature as the true mode of being.

I have not followed the paths of other men. I have lived without the benefit of a teacher and by my own devices. I became a master of myself, and thereby master of the sword and the brush, never differentiating between any of these "arts."

It should be understood that without the assistance of a teacher many roads become open to a practitioner, some on the correct path and some on the incorrect path. It is nto for everyone to be without guidance - only a few, and they are exceptional, can make a journey to wisdom without a teacher. You must have extraordinary passion, patience, and self-discipline to make a journey alone. The goals must be understood, definitive, and no diversion can be acknowledged or permitted if you are to attain enlightenment within the sphere of a chosen art. This is a very difficult road to travel and not many are made for it. It is frustrating, confusing, very lonely, certainly frightening, and it will sometimes make you think you do not have much sanity left to deal with the everyday surroundings of your world. Also, there is no guarantee that you will attain perfection. It must all come from inside you without any preconceived notions on your part.

And so we begin...

No comments: